Friday, August 13, 2010

Heather- DIY Stylin' Purse Pocket Notebook

If you’re anything like me, your purse is a place where receipts disappear, gift cards seem to disintegrate and little to-do-lists go to die.  My purse is always full of clutter, so I made this cute purse-sized notebook with pockets for loose items and a pad of paper to write my To Do Lists and reminders.  Here’s the six simple steps to make your own purse-sized notebook from items that you should be able to find around the house. 
Find a flexible piece of cardboard to act as the cover for your  note pad.  I used a small portion of a Frosted Mini Wheats Box.  Cut into 9 x 6 inch rectangle. Fold in half. *Note: eat cereal before cutting open the box. ;)
Pick a fun fabric to cover your cardboard with.  I used the material from an old skirt that I was planning to donate.  It has a fun sixties pattern! Cut fabric into 6 ½ x 16 inch rectangle.  You can then cover the card board with the material.  Fold down the extra material on the edges to create a closed seam and secure with glue or double sided tape.   
 Now to create your note pad, and pockets to catch receipts, gift cards, parking tickets whatever!  Cut three sturdy pieces of colored card-stock into the desired pocket size.  (Mine are 2 x 3 ½ inches; perfect fit for a credit card.)  Cut a small half circle out of the top of each and attach them to each other, just slightly below the previous.  Attach on the front panel of your fabric covered cardboard.  


On the back panel, we will attach the paper for the notepad.  Find a color you like and make sure it’s the weight of regular copy paper.  Cut your paper into 5 ½ x 3 ½ inch rectangles, and punch two small holes at the top center of all your pages.  
Punch two holes (make sure they will line up with your paper) through the back panel of your notebook and thread a small ribbon through the holes and the paper.  Tie in a bow and you are good to go!

One final flourish, should you choose to add it, a cute button closure!  Sew a button on the side of the front panel and punch another small hole at approximately the same spot on the back panel.  You can use a regular pony-tail elastic to function as the closure.  Just cut it and thread it through the hole on the back panel, from the inside to the outside.  Thread the elastic back through to the inside and pull to create a small loop in back.  Check to make sure the loop is long enough to loop over the button on front, but short enough to hold your notebook closed tightly.  Adjust and then tie the loose ends on the elastic in a knot (which you can hide under the paper) and trim excess elastic.  For extra cuteness I added stitches to the bottom!   

Presto!  You now have a convenient and homemade notebook to help keep your purse clutter free and cute!   Happy crafting!   
XOXO- Heather 

9 comments:

  1. Oh I am SO doing this!! How cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to attempt to make this adorable notepad/receipt keeper this weekend. I will let you know how I did.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is sooo cute!! I want to make one of these ASAP!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I made one!!! yea!!!!.. it is a bit different but the same.. I used these cool multi-colored pony-tail holders and just put it around the width to hold he book together. Who doesn't have an extra ponytail hanging around their wrist??

    I am going to send it to Linds tomorrow and she can take pics..if anyone wants to see it...Thanks Heather for the DIY. The next one won't take me nearly as long since I will know what I am doing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I definitely want to see what you came up with! So glad you gave it a try!

    Thanks to all you lovely ladies and your kind words!

    -Heather
    http://lilaclace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial, this purse pocket notebook's soooooo cute

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute!! Especially using that old skirt! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, they make my day and mean the world to me! I read each and every one and try to respond to all of them. It's always nice to hear your opinions and thoughts :)