Welcome to my crafty little corner! Feel free to comment and follow me on my path to creativity. I love meeting new people, so don't be shy! Scrapbooking, journaling, making felt plushies, embroidery, painting, photography, blogging, organizing, reading, and sewing are some of my most favorite things.
Hello! I'm Carol from That is Charming & I am so honored to have been asked to write a post for Lindsay's blog party! If you are a reader of my blog you know that I love crocheting. Any crocheter or knitter will tell you that they can't get enough of yarn. I love anything that can be used for yarn. One cheap way is T-shirt yarn! You can usually buy t-shirts really cheap at thrift stores. At my local thrift store I can get a bag full of t-shirts for $3! Do you know how much "yarn" I can get for $3!? Today I am going to show you how to use old t-shirts to make your own yarn also known as t-yarn.
-old clean jersey t-shirt
-skittles for snacking on while you make your t-shirt yarn :)
1. First off you need to cut the hem off the bottom of your shirt.
2. Starting anywhere at the bottom make a slanted cut. This will be the beginning of your yarn.
3. Start cutting a half inch to one inch strip. You will be cutting one long continuous strip. Continue cutting until you reach the very bottom of the arm holes. When you reach the arm holes go ahead and cut the strip off the rest of the shirt.
You will have a pile of one flat strip of t-shirt.
4. To make your strip look like yarn, you will tug firmly but not too strongly that it breaks. It will roll up onto itself forming your yarn.
5. Once you have tugged on all the yarn, you can roll your yarn up into a ball and start crocheting, knitting or whatever you please with your new yarn!
There are numerous ways to use your new yarn! Here are a couple examples of how I like to use mine.
This is a simple crocheted catch-all bowl. These can be used on a counter or nightstand to hold your small items like a cell phone, jewelry, or change.
If you don't knit or crochet, you could still use the yarn to make these stylish t-shirt yarn necklace/scarves. I love these necklaces to dress up a very casual outfit!
It really is simple! I would love to see your yarns and what you make with them! If you need any help, you can ask in the comments and I will try to answer any questions you may have! Thank you for reading and thank you Lindsay for the opportunity to share this fun tutorial!